Forums » Testimonies

Good Decisions

• March 10, 2016 2:13 PM EST

This is from a journal entry I made in google docs. I thought I should share it.

I was again doubting something the Lord told me would be undone. It was very distracting, because I was in the middle of my workday, and as a programmer, I needed to focus.

So, as I sat at my desk, I prayed for a minute. When I was done praying, about to get back to work, I heard a gentle phrase: "shhhh... it comes as a whisper." As I heard this, I was filled with peace and clarity, and my attention was gently shifted to a browser tab where I loaded the human resources page for our organization. I don't know why I did, I just knew I should.

Here, I logged in, and--again for reasons I don't know--I chose to click "appointment and salary history." Despite it being out-of-season for these things, I noticed a recent entry, dated about a week into the future (March 1st), where I saw a hefty hike in salary. Delighted both at the unannounced improvement in income, as well as the comfort brought by the Holy Spirit (mainly the latter :-)), I began to wonder what the salary would look like if I went back up to full time. So, I divided by 0.8, giving me a number containing 653 in a prominent place in its digits. Long story as to why I know this, but 653 = sum("christ") in the number codes used for letters in a computer. Needless to say, that put a big, ol' smile on my face. It still does.

After explaining all this to a friend of mine, she told me to tell another friend. So, I did. After this, I heard the reason for the comfort come in another phrase: "I am [still] on the throne." ([Still] came as a background thought, while the other words came as actual words.)

ADDENDUM:
    I wasn't sure why he caught my attention with "shhhh... it comes as a whisper." Then, later in the day, my boss pokes his head through the door and whispers, "hey, Chris... can you step out for a moment to talk about a... 'project'?" The project being the raise. Then, he told me to keep quiet (to "shhh") until he told the others about their raises, individually. So, it did indeed come as a whisper. I was the first he told.

AD-ADDENDUM:
    Several days later, I realized a week before the raise, I had made a financial decision that prevented me from possibly becoming quite wealthy. On purpose. I had decided I would prefer to live by Christ, as Peter did when he listened to Jesus:

"But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours." ~ Matthew 17:27

My desire was to live closely enough to the Lord that, if I need anything, be it money, companionship, whatever, I would take it to Jesus in prayer and then just listen.

As I wrote this, I heard very softly, "your whole world is about to change."

If I'd clung to what might have made me rich, I would have felt that would interfere in my heart. Jesus to Peter, "ehhh you have plenty of money. Just go pay them." That's so not fun. That's not interesting or fulfilling or satisfying, in any way, at all. That's not the way to have a life-long adventure!

Thanks for listening! Hope you all enjoy it. God bless!

This post was edited by Deleted Member at March 11, 2016 12:28 PM EST
  • March 11, 2016 12:38 PM EST

I came back to re-read this, today, and I thought I should mention: much of what the Lord has done for me, lately, has been a demonstration of His sovereignty over free will (as counterintuitive as that may seem, He really does order our very choices!).

Another mini story: I had been brewing this particular tea from fresh, hydroponic herbs every night. I always make the same amount-- just enough for me! This night, particularly concerned about someone's choices, again, I accidentally put too much water and herbs. I figured, "ehh God had me do that for a reason," so I let it boil. Then, despite the rareness of it, this time of night, my brother dropped by wanting tea and a chat, just as the tea was finishing boiling! :-) It was the perfect amount for both of us.

It's the little things Jesus does that really help build up our faith! God bless!

• 275 posts
    March 11, 2016 12:43 PM EST

Thank you so much for these wonderful testimonies, Chris! I love how He guides us each day in the most unexpected ways!

• 1 posts
    April 2, 2016 10:05 AM EDT
    This is a very encouraging and enlightening testimony. Thank you for sharing.