Forums » General Discussion

Serving Jesus

• 67 posts
    March 30, 2016 1:14 PM EDT

Maybe, in that moment, He was speaking through me to convey a message of peace and unity. 

But why is it that we get so caught up in our own personal feelings and beliefs that we allow them to fog our minds and hearts? Why is it that we fail to see the truth that is plain for others to see? Is it ego? Is it blind faith? Is it that some are simply misguided and need to be re directed to the right track? What is it and how do we fix it? I don't think that such division is good for any kind of community, be it a simple book club or the church. I think it would be a good idea to try to fix this soon before it gets out of hand and there is no more church. I think the problems of the church are a contributing factor that keeps potential "converts"(for lack of a better term) out of the church and out of religion altogether. What message does this kind of thing send to our fellow man? What kind of message might it send to God? Instead of floundering around and looking upon man for leadership or guidance, I think the important thing would be to pray and to let the word of God be the final judgment on what should be done. 

• 275 posts
    March 30, 2016 7:05 PM EDT

Brother, I competely agree with both of your last posts. I'm sure that God's best will is for us to get along and respect each other as part of the body. As to why we don't, that in itself is probably a subject that people will disagree on. My thought on that is based on my world view that most people are of sincere and good intent. I believe the issue is that we are all of different cultural, regional, political, gender, etc. backgrounds, that cause us to see things in different ways. Many of these people are influenced to believe that one or more matters are so important that others who don't believe the same way are barely even Christians. As Dion posted in one of his devotionals, it can be as trivial as necktie, but they probably truly think that matters. If they could step back and see that there is a bigger picture, they might not get so excited, but that's easier said than done.

That said, there are actually a lot of Christians who do believe that what we have in common is more important than what divides us, so don't lose hope :)!

[blockquote]Tyler Velau said:

Maybe you can help me understand something, Sylvia. Why all the disagreements? We all serve the same God, do we not? We all want the same things, kindness, compassion, helping others, peace, do we not? Why can't we simply put aside our petty little differences and look at the bigger picture? Why can't we focus on the positives?-That's a good title for one of Pastor Dion's blogs I think :)- Why do we let such small things divide us when we have many more similarites? Why not cooperate with each other and work together to make the world a better place? I just don't understand. The body of Christ is one body, right? Yet its been vivisected and each part is in a different plaace. I think common ground needs to be made and the division needs to end. I think there needs to be unity in the body of Christ and people will have to put ego and maybe even beliefs aside to make room for the common good( or rather the greater good) and stop this division. We all serve the same God, let's focus on that. 

[/blockquote]