Forums » General Discussion

Yawning whilst praying

• 5 posts
    June 14, 2015 2:56 PM EDT

Hi guys & gals Apologies for not being on here for a while, i have been working long and hard with so little time for other stuff. Does anyone else find they 'yawn' whilst praying or reading the Bible?? I have looked on the internet and some people have commented about it but for the most part, people say it's because of a lack of oxygen because i hold my breath or i am concentrating too hard and forget to breathe!! For me this is rubbish because it can be any time of day or night when i shout one up to God and almost immediately i start yawning!  As soon as i am finished, i am fine. Is it God telling me he is listening or is it s*t*n trying to block my prayers and trying to distract me?  Or am i doing something wrong? Your experience and input would be greatly appreciated.

Keith

This post was edited by Dion Todd at March 24, 2018 8:31 AM EDT
    • 34 posts
    June 14, 2015 3:15 PM EDT
    <p>Hi Keith, I fall asleep when really tired, I also believe that yawning whilst praying, can be attacks from Satan/demons, to prevent you from quality time with our Father,  that's why you don't yawn when you're finished. They know the power of prayer,  and want to stop it at all cost.</p>
    • 275 posts
    June 14, 2015 7:23 PM EDT
    <p>Hi Keith :), I think it can be various things, depending on the circumstances. Is this yawning a hindrance to you being able to pray, like is it happening the whole time you are trying to pray? I so I would tend to agree with Schalk. Just a bit of yawning during prayer can be deliverance from spirits, Dion and I have both experienced that. Not all yawning is deliverance, of course, but I can generally tell it in myself when it happens...I can feel "lighter". </p>
  • July 20, 2015 8:46 PM EDT
    If it is not drawing you closer to the Lord and is distracting its either the flesh or a demon. The flesh does not want to be still and pray. The devil does not want you to enter Gods Presence. FOR WHERE THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS THERE IS FREEDOM... It also takes SELF DISCIPLINE TO PRESS INTO GOD AND OVERCOME THE FLESH. The more you do it the easier it gets. Command the yawning to stop IN THE NAME OF JESUS AND PLEAD THE BLOOD AGAINST IT. DONT PUT UP WITH IT. GREATER IS HE THAT IS WITHIN YOU IF YOU ARE IN CHRIST! :)
    • 15 posts
    November 5, 2015 1:37 PM EST
    Ive never heard of when you yawn it release spirits...can you please tell me more about this ?
    • 5 posts
    November 15, 2015 3:15 PM EST

Hi guys, deepest apologies for not continuing with this topic i started!!

It's a strange one to me with me being fairly new to Christ which is why I asked the question.

The yawning is not distracting as such, just different to my perceptions of prayer time and what happens.

When i pray I yawn at least a couple of times so maybe I should throw something in there to denounce satan?

I will do it in prayer tomorrow (if I yawn) and come back to you in a few days.

Sylvia, what is the deliverance you speak of?  How would I know if it is happening to/with me?

Thank you for your time.

Keith

• 275 posts
    November 15, 2015 6:13 PM EST

Hi Keith! "Deliverance" is the removal of spirits that may be in us. There may be anchored in us through fear, addictions, or may even be inherited. In prayer, yawning is a way they may sometimes leave. When I'm getting some deliverance, I can feel something gone from me, like my spirit is lighter :).

• 8 posts
    November 15, 2015 7:06 PM EST

I have never heard of the deliverance of spirits either... I am interested in your experiences. I do think of the disciples falling asleep on Jesus when he asked to to keep watch while he prayed!! Fell asleep not just once but twice!  Maybe it is as simple as you are waiting too late in the evening to pray?! Just a thought.

• 5 posts
    November 28, 2015 2:09 PM EST

Hi Julie

I have no real set time for praying, even though i realise i should, well that's not strictly true as i pray when i get into bed before i sleep and I pray when i wake up, but more often than not, i awaken in the night with church songs going through my head and i have a small prayer before i fall back off again, but the point I am trying to make is, as above, and also i call to God whilst I drive to work in the early hours and i am mostly wide awake and praying but yawn sometimes.

It is a strange situation for me which I am trying to understand.  I now make an effort to tell s*tan to back off and state Jesus is my saviour when i yawn and it seems to be working, but i will update as i progress, or maybe as Sylvia alludes to 'spirits' leaving me could be the reason, I just don't know at the moment so I will see how i go.

Thank you everyone for all your time in writing your posts to me.

God bless one and all.

Keith

• 5 posts
    November 29, 2015 7:15 AM EST

Brian

Thank you for your post and advice, and also from everyone else too.  It means a lot to know I can call upon your own experiences to help me in some way.

I will keep on praying and see where this path takes me.

Many thanks ML&R Keith

• 1 posts
    May 15, 2021 11:47 PM EDT
    Hi everyone. I've been yawning for YEARS when I pray to the Lord sometimes when I read my Bible or hear a truth that rings in my spirit. I've wondered why I've would yawn? It's involuntary and is often triggered when I acknowledge God in my spirit. And can be at times an odd combination of intense and peaceful. It's never been a bad thing for me. it is usually brings peace and stillness in my prayers. People have asked me why I'm yawning and it's hard to explain to them. For me Yawning in the Spirit: is a confirmation in my prayers and seems to be a changing or renewing of my mind.
    • 137 posts
    May 16, 2021 9:41 AM EDT

(John 20:22 NASB95)  And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit."

Breathing in the Spirit and releasing others that shouldn't be in there is a pretty common exchange. The Lord moves into us as a fixer-upper and cleanses us from the inside out. Often when reading the word or listening to praise music, this type of deliverance will take place. Here is a devotional on the topic:

https://www.refreshinghope.org/blogs/1/3187/the-homeless-legion

This post was edited by Dion Todd at August 20, 2021 9:22 AM EDT
    • 1 posts
    August 20, 2021 5:51 AM EDT

This is the same topic that read me here. I searched for these answers on google and find this interesting discussion. i also experience the same thing. whenever i go deep into prayer i reach a point where i start yawning uncontrollably and become very emotional. Sometimes i experience it even when am not praying when am working in the office. and it will only stop when i go in a private room to pray.